Sunday, February 28, 2010

#22 Free Health Care for Deacon...

It's hard to figure out what to tell you I will miss because the activities I have on my list aren't particularly exciting. But, they are things I will miss none the less. So, to kick off my list of things I will miss I have chosen this one (btw, these are in no particular order)....

Free Health Care for Deacon

All I have to do is to take this little orange piece (i would take a pic but it's got some personal info on it that I would rather not show) of paper with us to the doctor. I have no idea what it says but all I know is that I need to take it. One particular procedure that had to be done on Deacon's eye would have cost about $300 US dollars was free!

This is a great thing about national health care here in Japan. We had to make numerous trips to the hospital and even one to the ER when Deacon got the R.S. Virus and we left without having to pay a dime (or a yen). Immunizations, Check-ups, etc...all free. AND, to top it off, for the first year of Deacon's life the government gives us about $100 US dollars a month to cover any other expenses. Amazing.

I think the price of medical expenses will be one thing for me that I might experience as reverse culture shock when we return to the US. Not looking forward to that. So that makes this one thing I will absolutely miss.

2 comments:

Emileigh Latham said...

Wow! Thank is incredible and such a gift too.

Unknown said...

sadly, we pay through the nose in monthly insurance premiums and I still have to pay the full doctor's visit plus a $2500 deductible for any incident. And Maddie's prescription today was over $65! Sheez. So glad Deacon's expenses were covered. What a huge blessing! :)