Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer is starting!

We are feeling the heat come on as the humidity in Japan begins to increase. I haven't worn my hair down all day since May because it turns into a ball of frizz after I leave the apartment. However, even though the weather may be uncomfortable we are still loving our jobs and we are currently in the process of deciding whether or not we want to stay until April 2o10. It's a tough call and we have been praying a lot and once we know I will update this thing. But, until then just wanted to share a few things about our time here that have been really funny or have just been fun because it is so different.

First....Story:
Jason and I go to Japanese lessons every Tuesday night and when we arrive there is a room where we have to take off our outdoor shoes, put them in the designated shoe lockers where we exchange them for slippers appropriate for indoors. You may not know this but this is the Japanese way. In many cases you remove your shoes before entering a building and put on indoor shoes or slippers. Well, when arrived at lessons the other night I took off my shoes and put them in the locker and got out my slippers. That night I wore flip-flops. I tell you this because flip-flops are NOT at all common in Japan because they look too much like indoor shoes. So after lessons were over I went to go put on my shoes. I opened the locker I thought I had put my shoes in only to discover a pair of black men's shoes. I thought to myself, "That's odd. Well, maybe I have the wrong locker." So, I checked all the other lockers and couldn't find my shoes. Then a thought popped into my head, "Ohh man, what if someone is wearing my shoes!?" So, I put the indoor slippers back on and headed into the lesson room. I told my teacher what I thought had happened and she got the biggest kick out of the possibility that someone had on my shoes. So, in the scuffle of it all other teacher's got involved and a search party bigger than was necessary began. It was quite humorous to watch us go around the room peeking under tables at peoples feet and getting questioning looks. But, then, I spotted my shoes across the room! And they were on some man's feet!! Now, what? I have never had to approach a stranger before to ask for my shoes back! I mean, what does a person say in that situation especially when the person isn't a native English speaker? All I could do was point, smile, and say, "Um, excuse me, you have on my shoes." In the background huddled around me are the Japanese teachers laughing at the awkwardness of the situation and trying to help me understand the mans rapid explanation. He was late and he didn't pay attention. So, we awkwardly exchanged shoes amidst the laughter and conversation (which I couldn't understand because it was all in Japanese) and I walked away with embarrassment and delight because this is really only the kind of thing that can happen in Japan.


Second.....video:
Coldstone in Japan. Even here they will sing one if you fling one!


4 comments:

Emileigh Latham said...

Abby, I am always surprised at the things that happen to you.
You always tell great stories and they always bring such delight.
Thanks for sharing.
E

mary said...

haha...this is awesome! I loved hearing you yell "YAY!" at the end of the video :)

Carleigh said...

I love all your stories Abby.
Love you lots,
Carleigh

Ryan said...

abs, thanks so much for the blog writing. the shoe story and video added much brightness to my day.
love you