Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Good Times

I just got back from a wonderful weekend with a couple of my friends. Alina and I went down to visit our friend, Millie in Kobe. It was such a wonderful and nice break from the crowds and stiffness of the city. In the Kansai area (southern part), men gave up their seats for us and help me with my luggage!! I have NEVER had that in Tokyo. So, I was thankful to get a little "Southern Hospitality".

One night we went to a Bath House where we lounged around in several different "types" of saunas. (No, we weren't naked in this kind of "Stone Spa"). We went with two of Millie's friends from here in Japan. These two women were TOO much fun!! Since they knew what they were doing they were our "tour guides" in the spa. Our first room was a HOT salt room. We laid on rocks of salt and let the heat consume us. The temp was 55 C!! Yes, that's 131 F! After each hot room you go into a cold room. It reminded me of a really fancy walk in cooler in a restaurant. :) Then it was off to the charcoal room. Japanese believe in the healing properties of charcoal. The marbled stoned floor was heated we had to run out because it was so hot. But it was wonderful while we were laying in there. (p.s. we are given a hug towel to lay underneath us while we relax) That room was around 44 degree Celsius. After another quick stay in the Ice room we made our way to a wonderful room. It smelled of cedar and cloves. Its was so sweet and a delight on the senses. It wasn't too strong at all! This spa was absolutely wonderful! We had such a good time! Also, on this trip I participated in my first Yoga class! Wow! Talk about amazing. Why i haven't done it before, I don't know but I was sure missing out. Great exercise with minimum impact. PERFECT! And you feel great afterwards.

The trip was such a delight. It was relaxing and peaceful. I really hope I get to go to Kobe again soon. It would even be great if one day we could live there!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Emily and I love that you are keeping this thing up to date. In Florida we don't need saunas; we just go outside at about 2:00 PM and lay on the asphalt that has been baking in the sun all day :)

Emileigh Latham said...

Sounds wonderful!
I love hearing from you more often.

Carleigh said...

That sounds amazing right now. But what's funny is, this week I did yoga for the first time too. Anyway, love hearing from you. You always put a smile on my face. Hugs and kisses!