Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Interesting

So, the law is changing now for smokers in Japan. Now, all smokers have to register for a certain kind of identity card specifically for the purchase of tobacco. Starting on the 1st of July no one in Japan can purchase cigarettes without this card but even further action has been taken to prevent underage smoking. I received this email from the Japanese newsletter I subscribe to and I found today's article interesting and wanted to share.

from Namiko Abe
I read an article about a tobacco vending machine that can detect if the purchaser is a minor. In some countries, the purchase of tobacco can be very strict. In Japan, it can be easily purchased from vending machines, which are located everywhere. This newly developed machine has a built-in camera that measures facial wrinkles, pupil size and other features. The population of smokers is quite high in Japan. It is 29.2 % (as of 2007) and the fifth highest in the world following Greece, Turkey, Netherlands and Hungary. I think people are concerned about health nowadays, but when I was little, the men of my dad's age were almost all smokers. I wonder how effective this new machine will be in preventing youth from smoking?

1 comment:

Emileigh Latham said...

That is interesting. Very high tech I should say.