Thursday, May 28, 2009

Deacon Scott....

is a month and a half old already! Man, time has flown by!

I haven't posted on here in a good while partly because I would rather sleep than sit in our uncomfortable computer chair....I have made several secret wishes that we had wireless. :)

Deacon Scott Kuiper has arrived! He made his appearance on April 15th at 2:53 pm after a VERY LONG labor. I was having strong contractions for a total of 38 hours!! But really really strong ones for a total of 24 hours....man, it was intense. I went to the hospital at 8pm on Tuesday night after 5 hours of contractions coming every 5 minutes apart and then upon arrival to the hospital discovered I was only 1cm dilated!! Talk about discouraging. So, I checked into my hospital room and continued to labor ALL night long! At 5:30am they checked me again and I was dilated to only 4cm. The doctor said I should be moving right along then at 1cm per hour....yeah right! At 10:30am I was only dilated to 6cm. At 11am the doctor came in and said that labor was progressing too slow and that I had three options....1. continue laboring as I had been 2. break my water to see the color of the amniotic fluid to see if the baby was in distress or 3. use pitocin to speed up labor I knew immediately that I wanted option number 2....not sure why but there was no debate. I knew my water needed to be broken. After they broke my water things started moving very quickly and Deacon came 4 hours later.

Labor is intense but SOOO worth it. It was wonderful to get to hold my son in my arms....no feeling can describe it. Every pain that a body experiences is to tell you that something is wrong with your body, that you have a problem that needs to be checked out. However, labor pain is something different entirely. It's the one pain that a woman experiences that is bringing forth life and is not about something being wrong with the body. There is something profound about that fact that I can't quite put my finger on. Any insights?

Motherhood has been such an adjustment. The first two weeks...no, make that three weeks were so hard. So many things are thrown your way all at once. You are exhausted, your nipples are cracked and sore (sorry fellas) from trying to breastfeed, your emotions are all over the place and you can't control them which makes you even more emotional, you've got pain from squeezing something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a lemon or you've had surgery that has made sneezing more painful than you could imagine, and the list could go on.....BUT it is SOOOo worth it! I couldn't have made it through this first month of his life without the help from my mother (she came for a month total and was here the first two weeks of Deacon's life) and my wonderful fabulous husband. Jason is so amazing. I am so blessed to have such an amazing husband as him (he?). He is such a great father, too. He loves his son so much and that is very clear! Thank you, honey!

Here's a picture of our precious son at one month old....


After a bath....




India part 2 coming soon.....already got parts of it written and saved in a draft. :)

3 comments:

Casey Dawn said...

Miss Abigail, your baby is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your experience. I think of you guys often and love you lots!!

Diana Latham said...

It is really neat that you have your own story now. I remember you writing to several ladies before you had Deacon about their birthing experiences. Now, you have your own story to share and you can encourage other women with it. You done good, lady.

Darby West said...

Hi Abby! I am not sure if you will get this comment or not but I am taking my chance. I thought of you often and even tried to find you some on the internet. Congratulations on your baby. I just started reading your story and am not very far through but your life sounds so much fun! I am looking forward to reading more.