Tuesday, November 6, 2007

the Goodness of God

When we experience Jesus, when we experience his holy spirit, no words can quite explain the inward, personal journey that we have been traveling nor can we accurately describe all the small details and wonders that one encounters. Were we ever really meant to explain it with in such a way so that those listening or reading will fully understand? I think maybe not because if we could do that…if we could experience things through someone’s words what would be the point of the Holy Spirit? Only He can speak to those places in our heart where we need His light and truth…nothing/no one else can do that.

I have been on a difficult but beautifully sweet journey with the Lord over the past months while here in Japan. Words can not do it justice and it will sound like something you may have already heard once in a sermon somewhere or from some book you may have read or from another friends personal story but to me it (the lessons I am learning) are far more real than I have ever known them to be. Where the Lord has me walking is like a journey through the highest mountains. It is on the highest mountain peaks that you can catch a view with our eyes but never with a camera…it is impossible to capture the beauty and splendor, you need to be on that peak yourself to really understand what you have seen in pictures or heard described. The climb to the highest peaks is steep and can make the muscles and joints in your body ache and groan with ever step but the experience of the journey is one that you will not soon forget. This is where Jesus and I are…we are climbing the mountain together and I am learning some hard and wonderful lessons. These are not lessons of knowledge from books or just understanding scripture from my own reading but these are lessons that only come from the revelation and the breath of the Holy Spirit. I am learning that chaos is all around me and in me but He is always constant. I am beginning to understand the importance of waiting on him past my normal threshold of waiting time. I am learning just how faithful of a provider He is. I am learning to trust Him more deeply than I did three months ago. I am learning surrender. I am recognizing where I like to live by my own agenda because that feels safe when really what He has in store for me is a lot more fun. Who knew I had to come to Japan to learn all these things?

God is so good. Although we don’t know for sure if we still have jobs we are being provided for in every way. We have food for today and a place to sleep which is amazing because our landlord has let us continue to live here in spite of the rent not being paid for three months. This is Jesus. We have not lacked or had a want for anything in these chaotic days. He has given us peace. We have not worried and have not been afraid….we have been impatient and eager for answers but the Holy Spirit quickly reminds us to wait. So we remain in waiting, eager and ready for what the Lord desires and wants. We are eager but not impatient and the two are very different. Thank you to the body and to all the saints who have been praying for us and with us. You are an encouragement to us and a huge support system whom without this time would be much harder. Thank you for being saints, a royal priesthood and such a great cloud of witnesses.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you've still got a place to stay. Your post has been a good encouragement for me to be patient as well. Getting to Korea has become a saga that just wont end.
you and Jason are in my prayers.

Mom Kuiper said...

Abby: I finally was able to read your messages. God is good all the time. Even when we don't recognize it. We are looking forward to seeing you at Christmas Love Mom Kuiper